Friday, October 30, 2009

Review of Kresley Cole's Untouchable In Deep Kiss Of Winter


Untouchable by Kresley Cole

First of all, I have not read Gena Showalter's story yet. This review is only for Kresley Cole's novella, Untouchable. Second, I am an idiot. I did not realize as I was clicking that fun little button for primetime customers at Amazon that this was a freakin' hardcover. So, I am doubly irked that I did not like this story, and I paid out the wazoo for it. 

Okay, I am seriously disappointed. Lots of folks loved this story, and I was all jazzed up. I did not love KC's last book Kiss of a Demon King.  I was hoping that this author would re-capture the magic soon, since A Hunger Like No Other is one of my favorite paranormals of all time. Here is what I liked about the story....

Good Stuff:
  • Cover: scrum-diddly-icious
  • Title: Untouchable is such a great title for Daniela the Ice Queen
  • Premise for story: Half-fey, half-ice princess who cannot touch or be touched...incredibly great premise for a romance novel
  • the build-up and anticipation for hot sex....Murdoch and Daniela staring at each other's lips, bodies, not being able to consummate their lust...hot diggity damn, Cole knows how to build up the anticipation
  • the Wroth brothers (as you know, I LOVE cool brotherhood stories, and the Wroth brothers rock it)
  • the whole ice thing....gorgeous imagery, absolutely spectacular. I especially loved the description of Murdoch's home after Daniela transformed it into her own ice castle...so cool!
Bad Stuff:
  • After all that good build-up for the hot sex, I found their kiss unremarkable, and the sex was hotter when they couldn't touch each other. What the????????
  • Pacing was off. Too much time walking around New Orleans, too much time with Daniela hanging out BY HERSELF in Siberia (Jesus H. Canola!), not enough action. In a short novella, gotta keep the action going. And I know damned well KC can do this...she is a master of it. But not here.
  • No emotional connection. All the deep POV was about how pissed Murdoch was to be bonded to Daniela. When/how/where does he fall in love with her? Not feeling it.
  • Re-hashing the other stories already visited in other books. Not a good idea, slowed down this story and was confusing if you haven't read the other books in the series.
  • Re-cycling conflict. Same sentiment from Lachlain in AHLNO...why I am bonded to this girl? I'm so pissed off. Enough already, get over yourself. Here is the plot in a nutshell.....
I don't like you (but I lust for you).
Well, I don't like you either (but you are a hottie).
Still don't like you. Pissed we are bonded.
Well, I still don't like you either.
(This continues until the last 5?10? pages....)
Oh, I figured out I am in love with you. Let's get it on.
Okay.

(I apologize for the sarcasm, but sheesh! This whole thing got tiresome.)
So, I am a bit torn. There were some cool things about this book, but the bottom line is I didn't feel the love connection, and the lust connection started out with great potential, but in my opinion failed to deliver. Bummer. Still love this author and pray for the next installment.
Grade:? C+/B- (not really sure how to grade it)

Planning to carve a pumpkin,
Penelope

P.S. Here is a link to the Youtube book trailer....hee hee hee!