Monday, May 11, 2009

A Couple of Snoozers


I have read a bevy of great books lately, but I've also slept through a couple. Mary Balogh's Then Comes Seduction is not her best work. Katherine Huxtable is just plain boring and so is the story. Margaret's story, At Last Comes Love, is next in line and looks more promising. I'm looking forward to it since I love Balogh and was disappointed in Then Comes Seduction.  My worry that the Huxtables could never compare to the Bedwyns is unfortunately coming true.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the next installment.

I also read Christine Feehan's Burning Wild this past week. Not her best effort, I must say. First of all, the beginning of the book details Jake's horrific child abuse at the hands of his parents.  Call me funny, but I just don't think child abuse and romance mix all that well. (This is one of the reasons I don't love contemporary romance...I don't want to be reminded of the horrors of real life, I'm looking for escape.) The rest of the book is basically...well, boring. Hard to believe that a shape-shifting Christine Feehan book could be boring, but there you have it. Too much whining, introspection, how can I learn to love after my shiteous upbringing, blah, blah, blah. And Emma is too good to be true. I am looking forward to the release of the final Drake Sisters novel, Hidden Currents (Elle's story), which will be out on June 30 (my birthday!).  Also, Feehan's newest Carpathian novel Dark Slayer will be released in September of 2009. Dark Slayer is the story of Ivory Malinov and Razvan, and should be a fascinating book. I can't wait!

After finishing Jacquie d'Alessandro's Tempted at Midnight, I went back to read some of her oldies.  I just finished re-reading Red Roses Mean Love (1999), and I want to heartily recommend this book to those of you who have not checked it out.  D'Alessandro is truly a brilliant historical romance writer, and this touching, humorous story is a keeper! 

Please leave a comment with any and all suggestions for me, especially if you have read a romance lately that you adored!
Thanks, Penelope