Saturday, April 11, 2009

Review of The Vampire Queen's Servant by Joey Hill

The Vampire Queen's Servant by Joey Hill
I would like to think that I am not the squeamish type when it comes to romance novels. However, a book classified as a BDSM erotic vampire novel sounds a bit daunting, does it not? Since reading A Mermaid's Kiss and A Witch's Beauty, I have become a serious Joey Hill fan. My good friend and fellow writer Michelle heartily encouraged me to start her vampire series, and so I acquiesced, all the while harboring some reservations about the BDSM stuff. Who would have expected it to be one of the most touching, revealing and vulnerable relationships in a romance novel? Hell, not me. (Okay, I was expecting whips and chains. So sue me.) Obviously I was missing the big picture about this lifestyle, which is ultimately about trust. But having the dominant be the female partner, in this case Lyssa the vampire queen, is a fascinating take on this sort of relationship. Jacob is a fabulous character, struggling with his instinctive need to dominate and the need to serve his "lady" who has stolen his heart over several lifetimes, as a knight, a Japanese warrior, and now as an applicant to be her human servant.  God, is that romantic or what? This is one of the most "romantic" books I have ever read, and the fact that it is a BDSM erotic paranormal is just some tasty icing on the cake.  Hill has written a beautiful book, although not as intense and fast-paced a read as A Mermaid's Kiss or A Witch's Beauty. Jacob and Lyssa's story unfolds in a slow, sensual, and satisfying way. Another interesting part of this book is that one of the key characters (Thomas, Lyssa's former servant and instructor for Jacob) has already died when this book takes place. That does not stop Hill from painting a stunning portrait of this man who selflessly loved his vampire queen, and dared to kill for her.  Joey Hill is a writer beyond reproach and The Vampire Queen's Servant is a joy to read. I can't wait to devour the rest of the series! Grade: A+
Predicting a very vampirish spring vacation, Penelope